51:32:35 l0:03:22

TGI Paul

Monday, October 09, 2006

Moonpig gets hitched!

I have a friend called 'Moonpig'. Well, she's not really called that obviously, but there are a few of us who still use that nickname. I don't even remember how it started. She's really called Kim.

I first got to know her probably about 10 years ago, when she turned up where I used to work, 'The American Bar & Restaurant', as a Trainee Waitress. I was training her class. She was loud, fun & intelligent, and we got on like a house on fire. In fact, it was one of my favourite ever classes to train. I went on to train her as a Supervisor too.

Another of her nicknames was 'The Littlest Hobo', she always seemed to have loads of carrier bags! Once, she came round for the evening, just to hang out, and was still on the sofa four days later!

Many things have happened over the last 10 years in both our lives. She's travelled lots, mainly to Australia and Thailand. I was diagnosed +ve. Diana died. We cried at both. We've both moved houses umpteen times. I had my heart attack. She met a guy in Oz. He came back with her for a while. She went back there to see him.... they realised they were serious.

It was three years ago that they first met. A few weeks back, I was honoured to be asked out on their combined Stag/Hen night; a lovely meal in a great Tapas restaurant (I sat with the girls!), followed by drinks at the
Met Bar and on to ChinaWhites for late dancing. I spent lots of time getting to know her chap, he's a really great guy!

The wedding had actually already happened in Australia, but another one was planned to take place in Spain where Kim's Mum lives. This was to make it legal here too. I was invited but funds prohibited me from going out there, so this night out was it for me; after their Spanish wedding they would honeymoon and then move into the house they've bought in Canberra.

I had a great time in ChinaWhites! Kim used to work there, as did some of the other girls that were with us, so there were lots of comp'd drinks coming our way! The owner even sent over a magnum of Laurent Perrier for us! I spent most of the evening chatting and dancing with the girls, all of whom were lovely people, and a few numbers got swapped.

Maybe it was the champagne, maybe it was the fact the my little Moonpig was now a very beautiful grown-up married woman, maybe it was the fact she was going to Oz for good... but it was a very emotional goodbye when it was time for me to go home, and the tears flowed.

Which just leaves one thing to say; I wish you both much love & happiness in your new lives together.

I love you Moony!

1 Comments:

  • Its so hard to connect with people and when you do they just up and leave. Hate that. I immigrated 13 years ago and that endless tirade of goodbyes just wears one down, how lucky you are to have connected with someone even if she is the hobo moonpig sort :)

    By Blogger Tammy, at Wednesday, October 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home