51:32:35 l0:03:22

TGI Paul

Thursday, August 31, 2006

I'm really looking forward to September!!

I appreciate that this may seem like an odd heading, as most people will be looking back at their summer; the fun, the holidays, the parties, the clubbing and the BBQ's, but there area few things happening this September that I'm REALLY looking forward to!

First thing is happening next week, on Saturday Sept 9th. There is a
big gay out at Thorpe Park. An over 18's, all gay day at one of the best theme parks in the UK, featuring dance tents from Wild Fruit and Salvation . I think it's going to be crazy good fun!

Then on Mon 11th Sept, we're off to see "Wicked - The Musical" as a birthday treat for Gary & Vic. This is another trip I really can't wait for, having first read the book about four years ago. Last year, I was also given the CD last year, and heard rave reviews from friends that have seen the show on Broadway.

Friday Sept 15th marks the UK cinema release of
The Night Listener by Armistead Maupin. I have always been a HUGE fan of Maupins since being introduced to his first Tales of the City by a very friendly assistant in the first gay book/magazine/sex shop that I ever dared enter. but more of that in another entry I think...



"The Night Listener" isn't part of the 'Tales' series at all, but a stand alone thriller based on true events, combined with a partly biographical story of Maupin and his lover too. You can see the similarity between Robin Williams in the poster above and the photo of Maupin below with Laura Linney from 'Tales...'. The movie also features Toni Collette, of "Muriels Wedding", so it has a great cast. I am slightly disappointed, however, that the story has been moved to New York rather than Maupin's native San Francisco. Any ideas why? Answers on a post card please!

It's always been an ambition of Maupins' to create a movie with the same tension as his favourite film, 'Vertigo', and I really hope he's achieved that here. I await with great anticipation!


Links for more about Maupin & The Night Listener...

The Night Listener cinema trailer

Armistead Maupin Interview

4 Comments:

  • Just in case you never found it...

    The "Tales Of The City" House.

    By Blogger mike, at Friday, September 01, 2006  

  • I've fouind the house too, the same one by the sounds of it.

    It has a small stone bench outside the front door, nestled in amongst all the foliage on the lane. The day I went there, there was a pair of gardening gloves gloves and a pair of secateurs sat on the bench. I always fancied the idea that they Mrs M's, and she'd just nipped inside for a smoke.

    Trust me, there'll be many more Maupin stories to come now I've got started! lol

    By Blogger Paul, at Saturday, September 02, 2006  

  • Thanks for your comment! By the way, I don't just love the old stuff, I also LOVE Jack Johnson, too! What the heck is "celebdaq?" And more important, where can I get some? -- Helene H.

    By Blogger Helene H., at Wednesday, October 04, 2006  

  • It's a fantasy share dealing game. You buy shares in celebrities and get dividend payouts depending on how many column inches they generate each week.

    Check it out here!

    If it looks good to you, you can always join my mini-league! (",)

    By Blogger Paul, at Thursday, October 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home