51:32:35 l0:03:22

TGI Paul

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Hallowe'ens Done

As much as I wasn't doing the party thing this year, I always really look forward to Halloween (as you may have noticed!). I like the history of the festival as well as the dressing up.
For instance, did you know that the lanterns we now carve from pumpkin were originally carved from marrows and laid out along the path from an Ancestors' grave back to the family's front door to help them find their way back home? Oh, and they weren't made from pumpkin until the festival became more American-ised.

Sadly, being on an 'estate with gates' I didn't even get any 'Trick orTreaters' this year, so the nearest I got to feeling festive was watching the Deal Or No Deal Halloween Special!

2 Comments:

  • I share your pain. I live just outside the city limits in a heavily forested area without sidewalks. Most houses are spaced rather far apart and sit back from the street. The whole situation is not conducive to trick-or-treating children.

    We had one visitor, the neighbors son, and that was before I arrived home.

    By Blogger rodger, at Wednesday, November 01, 2006  

  • there's not really much trick or treating here in south africa either- the dogs, razor wire, electric fences, palisade fences and guns tend to put the little kiddies off...
    doesn't scare the crooks though...

    By Blogger AngelConradie, at Monday, November 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home