51:32:35 l0:03:22

TGI Paul

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

All change again!

Last Friday, at 3pm, was my 3 month review at work. It was going to be held with my Team Leader, Kate, my Line Manager Anna, and the Head of IT, David. However, over the course of the last two weeks I've pretty much made up my mind about whether or not I'd made the right move from restuarants into The PizzaBase (Head Office!)

Pro's;
Mainly it's been to have weekends off, which this summer was an absolute Godsend!
There have been some great nights out (mainly starting in Comptons!), theatre trips to Blue Man Group and Wicked!. There've been Gay Days out and all the Prides (most notably Brighton!) I've enjoyed Sunday mornings at Columbia Road Flower Market, hustling through the crowds to find fabulous plants at wonderful prices! Sunday afternoons have been lunches at "The Pub On The Park" round at the back of my flat on London Fields or mad sunday afternoons at the Vauxhall Tavern. I've really had time to spend with my friends, in fact most of the above has involved G & V, and that's been really special. In fact it really has been a great summer overall.

I've also learned alot, and raised my profile within the company which are both good things. Also, I'd like to think that it show's I'm willing to try new things and develop myself.

Cons;

This boils down to two main issues; one being the twat that is my TeamLeader (see Mike's comments here as a brief example). I haven't bitched about her anywhere near as much as I could have done over the last few months, but I like to keep happy things in my head and regurgitating her demeaning attitude here would serve no purpose to you or I. So I have refrained. But, anyone who, at the age of 28, has just been sent on her first Leadership course and came back with wonderful news that she should ask more questions of her team (she had learnt the '5 Bums on a goalpost' thing), really shouldn't be in charge of someone thats been teaching that bloody course for the last 10 years.

The other issue is the commute. I really can't bear the thought of hour and three-quarter journeys, each way, now its colder and darker. I should be out in the restuarants more by now like they orignally promised, but there's no sign of me being put out in the field yet. I feel they mis-promised me here.

So I stopped the review by saying "Well, I don't want to waste everyones time when I know you're busy, so I may as well just tell you I want to go back to restuarants. Thanks for the opportunity, but I don't think it's really for me"

And by ten past 3 my CV had been e-mailed with an interest to the current vacancy at our Hampstead branch!
Two things worry me here now; that I may come across as 'flakey' ("Tried it, didn't like it. Can I change again please?"), and that I may not see so much of my mates again now. I really hope not.

3 Comments:

  • Good luck Paul! How did they respond in the performance review after you'd told them that? Did they seem receptive? I hope it all works out for you.

    By Blogger Mike, at Wednesday, November 01, 2006  

  • Bold move...but one that it seems is in your best interest.

    Good luck buddy.

    By Blogger rodger, at Wednesday, November 01, 2006  

  • wow- big step- and i wasn't expecting it either... i was expecting a little more mulling and so on, especially after you named so many more pro's than con's.
    i hope it works out for you.

    By Blogger AngelConradie, at Monday, November 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home