51:32:35 l0:03:22

TGI Paul

Monday, July 31, 2006

The Highlight Of My Weekend

Actually, more like the highlight of my July!

On Friday evening, I went with my Sis and my nephew Mini J (so called as his dad is Big J, although he's taller than me now!), on the occasion of his 14th to see the Blue Man Group . It was probably one of the best shows I've EVER seen!

I was a little dubious to start because on arrival at our front row seats we found plastic rainmacs on our seats, complete with hoods. The first 5 rows all had them, so we knew we were in for a messy night.

There are three guys, with shaved heads and all painted blue, who are alien-like men learning how things work in quite a naive a childlike manner.

They are fantastic musicians, playing drums in a way
you've never seen, pouring paint onto the drums skins to create a dancing, multi-coloured fountain to accompany the soundtrack. There was also a routine with electric glockenspiels. Later on they even make music drumming and extending plastic tubing, like modern day organ pipes.

The next section after the drumming-paint opening routine explained the need for the macs; paintballs being thrown by one and caught in the others mouths, then spat out onto swirling canvasses to create their first attempts at art!

They're on stage for 100 minutes virtually non-stop (there's no interval), and their energy is astounding! They never talk; all the humour (and they are hilarious!), comes from their facial expression, you can virtually read their minds as they communicate to each other and the audience just with different glances. Its a modern mime really.


They also make excellent use of modern technology,
incorporating the medias of film and video into their show & all set to a rock soundtrack from the live band. At the end the whole theatre comes alive with movement provided by swirling day glo tubes suspended above the audience during the finale of "I Feel Love". Inspired!

Afterwards, Mini J & I had our photo taken with one of them in the foyer. As we walked away the Blue Man grabbed my arm, pulled me towards him and said quietly, "You were a great front row!". I was starstruck and so thrilled he'd broken his silence to talk to me! You'll find me outside the stage door next friday at 11pm! lol!!

We left the theatre and decided it was time to get something to eat. Mini J wanted pizza, but Sis fancied munchy stuff like potato skins, so we opted for TGI Fridays as pizza is a little like a busmans holiday for me!

We went to the one in Covent Garden, and at the door the manager said, "Didn't you used to work for Fridays?"

"Yes," I replied, a little shocked at being recognised, "For nearly 13 years"

"Thought I recognised you," he answered "Tell you what, I'll 50% your bill for you!"

Result!! Especially as I left the company 2 1/2 years ago!

I went up to the bar for a cigarette and there was a bartender that used to work for me in Nottingham; he'd transferred to London shortly after I'd left apparently. It was lovely to bump into him and catch up on all the Notts gossip. It was also quite nice to be offered a free cocktail! hehe!

All in all, it was a great night out, and lovely to spend it with my Sis and her virtually-grown-up offspring! I thanked him for inviting me to join him on his evening out and walked them both to Charing Cross to get home, proud to be a part of their lives.

Great night!




1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home