51:32:35 l0:03:22

TGI Paul

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

New Year, New Restaurant, New Teeth, New Man...? Oh, and a new casserole dish!

Yes, new teeth.

I've been having problems for some time with mine. Partly an HIV thing, which at least means I get my mouthwash free from the doc. It culminated towards the end of last year with being told that I had periodontitis and would have to lose some.

Last Tuesday, 2nd Jan, I went and had the extractions. 8 in total. Happy Bloody New Bloody Year! It took 10 vials of anaesthetic to get me numb but the procedure still hurt like mad. One in particular felt like someone was trying to pull a finger straight out of my hand, but with worse sound effects!

I now have 4 very realistic looking front false teeth, and the two molars taken out each side at the back have just been replaced by one each to give me more room in there. The plate's still not very comfortable, but the gums will take time to heal, and I'm going back tomorrow to get the it adjusted.

I also have two dates tomorrow. Yes, really... two! Not at the same time either, in case that's what's crossing your dirty little minds!

Firstly, at lunchtime, I'm going to meet a guy I met on Saturday night when I went for a drink after work. We're going to go to London Zoo, purely because I've never been and I want to! I'll post pictures of any animals that aren't hibernating!

Then in the evening, I'm meeting a guy I originally met a couple of years ago. We had a 'brief encounter' (i.e a one night stand) after eyeing each other up in the Black Cap in Camden and I went back to his house. I remember it being a very smart place with lots of photo's round the lounge of him meeting various high-up politicians, including one of him & Margaret Thatcher.

It was about a week or so later when I opened The Times to see his photo. It turned out he's a journalist and wrote a weekly column for them. Then one morning I turned on breakfast TV to see him chatting away to Natasha Kaplinsky on the sofa!

Well, just before Christmas I was sitting in the King William in Hampstead and in he walked. I smiled and nodded a 'hello' to him, which he returned, then he took a seat on the barstool next to me. We chatted some pleasantries for a short while, then I said "You don't remember me do you?"

He looked shocked and admitted he didn't. I explained, briefly, where we'd met. I also admitted that I did have a huge advantage on remembering him as I read his column fairly frequently, and have seen him on tv a few times too.

"Well I'm not surprised I took you home, after all you are very handsome," he smiled, "but I am surprised I didn't take your number and see you again."

"Well, it's a good job you've got this second chance then eh?" I joked.

He has now moved to another broadsheet and writes a daily column. He has also sold up in Camden and just moved into a place in Hampstead Village (along with his weekend home in the Cotswolds!)

I also took Jays horrible Christmas present shirt back to Selfridges! Now, I've always wanted a Crueset casserole dish, but they are ridiculously expensive and I could never warrant the spend. But there I was, with £75's worth of vouchers and they were all reduced in the January Sale. YAY!

So I bought one, and with enough left over to buy a lasagne dish from the same range. It was a bittersweet moment; I never imagined I'd be buying my first Crueset on my own, with vouchers from a returned, ill chosen, present from a lying ex.

Not that I ever actually *imagined* buying my first Crueset.....

5 Comments:

  • it sounds like things might be looking up!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, January 10, 2007  

  • Of course, we're now all speculating wildly as to the identity of the journalist (while silently muttering the mantra: Anyone but Jay! Anyone but Jay!) ;-)

    Incidentally, I tagged you with a meme a few days ago. Care to respond?

    By Blogger mike, at Wednesday, January 10, 2007  

  • So, when do we get to sample something from the 'crueset' dish? It has been too long! xx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, January 10, 2007  

  • I bought a Crueset casserole for my partner for Christmas. We've discovered a no-knead bread recipe that cooks in the pan and makes spectacular artisan bread.

    Glad to hear some good came from such a bad situation. And...reschedule that date with the columnist! You deserve a good time.

    By Blogger rodger, at Friday, January 12, 2007  

  • thats so cool that you managed to get something you really wanted with the rotter's present!
    soooo- so you may be dating someone rich and famous eh? nice going! how do you do it...?
    as for the dentist- no comment- they scare the bejeebers outta me even for a routine checkup!

    By Blogger AngelConradie, at Saturday, January 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home