51:32:35 l0:03:22

TGI Paul

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Healthy Country Chicken Casserole

I have discovered my true vocation in life; I am a true domestic god(dess)!

Since acquiring the most wanted Christmas present of Le Crueset (albeit by returning of his vile shirt), I have been cooking up a storm in my little kitchen!

I also found a lovely new dinner service and matching wine glass set in the January sales for an absolute bargain of £22 for the lot!! So, all the equipment is here now and I thought it was best to get on and use it!

I have devised the BEST chicken casserole I've ever tasted (though I do say so myself!), all totally fresh, with leeks, celery and carrots. really hearty and healthy, and perfect comfort food for this time of year.

Here's a quick run down...

> Brown off all the ingredients in your choice of butter or oil. I like to use a mixture of the two as the butter adds flavour and the oil stops it burning.

> Add flour. This thickens up the vegetable & chicken juices with the butter and forms your stock. No packet stuff here!! Fill with hot water.

> Add fresh chopped sage & season to taste. Transfer now to a casserole dish.

> Add a basil leaf and put in the oven, low temp for a good hour.

I love this with a baked potato, and fresh asapragus. You can just taste the goodness! Eat your heart out Nigella!!

3 Comments:

  • That sounds wonderful and simply dropping a few dumplings into the broth will create the perfect Southern Style Chicken and Dumplings.

    You've got my tummy rumbling...I need to go make dinner.

    By Blogger rodger, at Wednesday, March 07, 2007  

  • I am about to make a Chicken Casserole this evening and have just read your post. I am the master of timing.....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, March 07, 2007  

  • If I had the appropriate Le Crueset casserole dish, I'd make it.

    By Blogger Reluctant Nomad, at Thursday, March 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home